Sunday, January 21, 2018
 Buying  |  Selling  |  Financing  |  Relocating  |  Homeowning  |  First-Time Buyer 

Refer A Friend


Randi F. Rainmaker
CLHMS, GRI, ABR, CCIM, ePro, EcoBroker
Gooder Group
2724 Dorr Ave, Ste 103
Fairfax, Virginia 22031

Office: 703-698-7750
E-mail Me
Visit My Website
Hottest New Listings!
Exclusively ZIP 20902
Search All Homes
Featured Properties






FREE e-REPORTS
How To Minimize The Worries Of Moving
Plan A Safe, Comfortable Move For Your Pets
Tips For Locating The Right Schools



Select FAQ of Interest
 
e-FAQs
Everything You Need To Know About Real Estate

What advice would you give to help me decide whether to sell or rent my house when I move?

Yo-Yo Decision making is tough. You go back and forth, never sure what makes the most sense. Deciding whether to sell your home or rent it out can feel like that. Most transferees choose to sell their house and buy a new home in the new location. But some choose to hold on to the property and try being a landlord. Here are a few questions to help you decide whether to rent the old house or sell it:
  • Can you buy in the destination city without the profits of selling the old house?

  • If you want to buy in the new location, how will you make a down payment on another house? One way may be to refinance the old property or use an equity loan to get some cash in hand, but this may also raise the mortgage payments on the old property.
  • Is the old home a special house you want to keep?

  • You may want to hang on to a home you like in the place the family will retire to, or a home customized specifically for your family, or a house that is highly likely to appreciate in value.
  • Will you be returning to live in the origination area in the near future?

  • A recent tax law correction has changed the two-year waiting period for capital gains exemption for work-related moves. You can now take a prorated exemption. If you stay only one year before moving again (50% of the time limit), you can claim up to 50% of the maximum exemption.
  • Can you afford to carry the old mortgage?
    Whether a family can rent or buy in the new location while paying the old mortgage depends on lifestyle, income, and any corporate benefits. Rental income may cover part of the mortgage – but often the rent isn’t high enough to cover all expenses. You should be able to make ends meet even if the home stands vacant, the tenant defaults or other problems arise. Because of this, many lenders count only 75% of the rental income as real income when you apply for another mortgage. They often consider the other 25% of the rent to be a reserve against expenses and vacancies.
  • Will you be close enough to manage the old property, or is there a reliable agent who can handle things?
    Tax laws favor those who can manage their rental properties themselves, but if the distance is more than an hour’s drive, consider hiring an agent to manage the property. A long-distance landlord will need such help in finding good tenants, preparing a lease, setting the rental rate and, most important, overseeing repairs and maintenance.
More Help For Relocating


Homeowners



Tip of Week



Quote of Week



Newsletter

Search all the homes for sale in our area.


Become a VIP buyer or seller. Beat your competition to the best properties in today's market. No cost, no obligation.
FREE Electronic Real Estate Reports:
These reports can help save you thousands, delivered free to your inbox.
STRESS BUSTERS How To Minimize The Worries Of Moving
PETS TO GO Plan A Safe, Comfortable Move For Your Pets
HOME SEARCH 101 Tips For Locating The Right Schools
RESALES Hidden Advantages Of Previously Owned Homes
SMOOTH A Dozen Ways To Plan The Perfect Relocation
LINGO 101 Money-Saving Glossary To Key Moving Terms
FAMILY MOVE Tips For House Hunting With The Kids
TIMING Seven Buying And Selling Secrets To Know Before You Relocate
INSPECTIONS Smart Strategies To Make A Home Inspection Work For You
SHIPPING Should You Send It, Carry It Or Leave It Behind?
 
       
Home  |  Information Center  |  Ask Us
Buying   |  Selling   |  Financing   |  Relocating   |  Homeowning   |  First-Time Buyer
Copyright 2018, Gooder Group.
Absolutely no part of this page may be reproduced or distributed without written permission.
All rights reserved by Gooder Group, Gaithersburg, MD, (703) 698-7750.