What are your suggestions for starting to feel at home immediately?
The hardest part about a move is having to start all over making new friends, locating doctors, etc. Here is a list of easy ways for you to set down roots in your new community:
Secrets to settling in easily
- Call a local newcomers group to develop a link to the community.
- Volunteer at your place of worship or at your childs school.
- Sign up for a local adult education course.
- Host a dinner party for a small group of co-workers.
- Introduce yourself and your family to neighbors.
- Invite the parents of your childs new friends over for dessert.
- Join the same types of clubs or groups that you left behind homeowners association, health club, bridge group.
- Sample a new restaurant one night a week.
- Schedule weekly family outings to parks, lakes, theaters, sporting events, parades, or other community activities.
- Ask neighbors for suggestions on hairdressers, dry cleaners, doctors, etc.