No matter how far you're moving and whether you're downsizing or moving up to a larger abode, moving all your belongings is always a big deal. And, even if your timeline means you're not scheduled to close for quite some time, the best advice is to get packing NOW!
1. GIVE AWAY Start piling up items you can donate to charities, friends and family members, neighbors and others who will put your unwanted items to good use.
2. TOSS If it's worn out, broken and unrepairable, or just seen better days, toss out the item. If it's a big item and local trash collection won't take it, make arrangements to get it moved off your property before the final walk through.
3. RECYCLE Many items you won't want to move can be recycled, especially if they're paper, metal or glass. Excess items can also be recycled through organizations that repurpose the items like old computers for reuse, books for literacy programs, school/office/craft supplies for kids' activities, etc.
4. STORE If you are downsizing, you may have a number of items you just won't have room for in your new location. Consider storing this excess in a local storage facility with the goal of assessing whether you still want the items several months down the line to avoid paying monthly storage fees forever on items you don't really want or need.
5. SELL If you have time, consider a garage/yard sale, resale shops and online selling sites to get rid of items you no longer need, but are worth something. Friends may also be willing to help you sell big ticket items if you're short on time.
TIP FOR HOMEOWNERS: If you are preparing to sell your home this year, complete the moving preparation process outlined above before you put your home on the market. It will show better with less clutter! And, moving will be easier!